Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dug Up Any Treasure Lately?





Matthew 13: 44 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. (NKJV)

I have pondered much about this little analogy that Jesus used to describe the Kingdom of Heaven.  He describes is as being like a field in which there was treasure, and when this man found it, was overjoyed, hid it and sold everything he had to buy that field.

It sure seems to me that this man has been doing some serious digging!  When was the last time you dug a hole in the ground and accidentally found treasure there?  No…  I suspect this man was making his neighbours very unhappy, digging holes everywhere he went.  He didn't stumble upon the treasure - he dug many holes, went relentlessly through many fields before he found this one.  Treasure only comes to those who earnestly seek.

Our sheer mortality, the shortness of our very existence (see my previous posting Some Serious Investment Tips), measured in mere tens of thousands of days, should cause us to have a deep dissatisfaction with what we have.  Some of us, however, are digging in the wrong fields, seeking the wrong treasures.  Be it wealth, fame, position, self-indulgence or even relationships, we can spend our whole lives digging for the wrong treasure and never finding the one that would satisfy.



That brings me to the second part.  It piques my curiosity:  what did he find in the treasure that made him so joyful, so completely exhilarated that he would almost with wanton recklessness go off to sell all he had to buy this field?  Whatever it was, it was GOOD.  I can almost see the deep satisfaction in his face as he beheld the treasure.

I see a similar trait in everyone who made a big difference in the Bible - they all had a deep dissatisfaction with all that they had, and searched for the truth.  When they found it, nothing else mattered.  Every one of the Apostles except John suffered cruel martyrs' deaths, none willing to renounce that Jesus was their Lord and saviour unto the end.  Paul was one highly educated.  For thinking that he was doing the things that he felt mattered to his god, went out killing Christians till he encountered Jesus on the road to Damascus.  Having realized his error and having found the Truth, he turned 180 degrees and gave his all for the cause of the Gospel.  Like the man having found treasure, these are his words later in life:

Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, (KJV)
I can't say I've found it all, but as I discover more of the goodness of God in His Word, I am compelled to dig deeper, focus even more on seeking Him.  Paul encourages me:



Philippians 3: 12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (NKJV)

The Lord invites us to this treasure hunt:



Jeremiah 29:13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. (NKJV)

I hope this encourages you to make a few holes in the ground!



No comments:

Post a Comment